I decided to watch the first 30 minutes of "Conversations #69" which was posted on April 1st of this year. The topic was classroom decoration and how it affects students. The reason that I chose this particular segment is because I believe that our environment affects us in more ways than we understand.
I know that I can focus and perform much better when I am in a clean and organized space because clutter and messiness make me feel anxious. I remember having class in certain classrooms where the teachers would have bright colors and artwork and inspirational quotes up on the wall. I really noticed those inspirational quotes. I wouldn't say I was necessarily "inspired" by them but I remember reading them day after day. I'm sure somehow they got through to me.
In contrast, I have memories of classrooms where teachers were completely unorganized and spent little to no time focusing on the classroom being bright and cheery. I didn't fail that class or anything but it just didn't feel as "homey" and comfortable.
I spent about 5 minutes googling information on research on this subject and couldn't find anything solid. I would be very interested in finding some quantitative research displaying the effects of a bright, clean and inviting environments on how well children learn and are engaged in class.
I believe that a classroom decorated with bold colors may slightly increase performance and participation but it cannot be expected to completely change class dynamics. There will always be students who do not want to be there, do not want to do work and do not want to participate. This will not be solved with bright paint and water colors hanging on clothespins. Some issues are deeper than that.
During the segment they showed some pictures of a classroom in Belize that is painted with bold, bright turquoise on the walls and students' artwork hanging around the room. I believe that anytime you incorporate artwork of students you make the room THEIRS and they feel like they have contributed to the pleasant environment.
Overall I think that beige and white walls are cheaper for schools - but we do need to make an effort to make the classroom inviting so the kids will WANT to be there. It will not solve the education problems of the country but it is a step in the right direction.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment