I thought our field trip to the Promtheian bus was a great way to see first-hand some of the technology that we have been talking and learning about for the last few weeks. These smart boards are really incredible - there are so many possibilities. I imagine that if my school the boards and the peripheral devices they students would get really into the lesson, no matter what it was.
The best advantage that this technology provides is the ability for more timid students to participate. There are a lot of kids who know the correct answer they just lack the confidence to speak up and be a part of the conversation. I would imagine that this would help break down the barrier that is holding these students back.
On the contrary I believe that speaking up and participating is a PART of your grade. Despite a student's trepidation to participate they eventually need to gain that confidence and speak up for themselves. You cannot input your answers through some texting machine during a job interview. Are we really preparing our students for life with this technology or are we actually sending them out there with an altered notion of what it takes to succeed in life? Just throwing that out there.
The video we watched at the end of class starring Johnny Lee was really amazing. I could not believe that someone can build this smartboard technology in their own home and for so cheap! I am amazed at how intelligent some people are.
I am really happy that this was the first class that I took in my graduate school career because I feel that all my future classes will be from the perspective of how to integrate technology into the classroom to help improve the education of children.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I definitely enjoyed the Promethian bus as well. I would LOVE to get my hands on those hand-held devices (I forgot what they are called). I think having those in the class would be a great way to keep kids on task, especially those who may have attention issues. If they get to play along with this little hand-held device, they may be more apt to stay on task.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that taking this class early in the grad school career was a good idea. I took this class last summer on the undergrad level before I had any teaching experience whatsoever. This time, in grad school, I have more confidence and a better understanding of how technology can, and should, be implemented in the classroom. After completing my student teaching, I have a greater appreciation for the technology out there and what it can do for the student's learning in the classroom. I only hope the rest of my grad school career is just as interesting!